Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Remember the $5-per-month increase Rogers added to its service?...

You'd think it would have satisfied the bottom line, wouldn't you?

However, corporations like Rogers are insatiable in their greed--so much so that they apparently don't care how or from whom they get their pound of flesh.

Take this morning's news story, for example:

Wi-Fi piggybackers rack up $800 on senior's Rogers bill


A senior citizen in Chilliwack, B.C. is angry about an $800 wireless internet access bill from Rogers — a bill she claims she's not responsible for.
Darlene Davis, 65, usually pays $60 a month for her Rogers internet, which she accesses with an unsecured Rocket hub Wi-Fi hotspot access point.
When she received a bill for more than $600 instead, she was stunned. Rogers customer service told her the charges stemmed from data used to download movies, stream TV shows and play online games.
But Davis says she doesn't even know how to do any of those things. 
"First of all, I don't even know how to download a movie. I haven't got a clue. Online gaming is something I've never even been interested in. So I kept trying to figure out and talk to people why I had this bill," she said. 
Without any answers, another month went by, and the bill continued to rise.
"I just turned 65 years old. If you ask me to pay $810, then how do I pay my rent and put groceries on my table?"
She appealed the charges with Rogers, but didn't get very far.
"They said they would put it under investigation and so they did, and when the investigation was complete they sent me what is a stock letter stating that it happened in my home, and that I was responsible for it," she said.
So much for customer service, or even the 'milk of human kindness'--not when the bottom line is concerned.
_______________________________
On a related note I see Flaherty has jumped ship, so one can't shove his nose in it. However, he and the Harper government in general are responsible for not reining in cell phone providers like Rogers. Mind you, Harper is seldom home long enough to see the problem.


No comments:

Post a Comment