Wednesday, February 12, 2014

'Fumbling Flaherty's' budget a cop out...

So much for all the brave talk about reining in cell phone rates, outrageous bank and credit card charges, and ATM fees to get at your own money. Come the morning after, and nothing has changed--not that I every serious thought it would.

The bottom line is there is nothing in this budget that makes my life any easier, and much to my detriment--like getting less in services for more money.

Oh, he was brave enough when it came to adding a tax on cigarettes (what else is new?!), and going after public sector benefits (...Oh, great, let's solve our problems on the backs of workers) but beyond that it's all smoke and mirrors.

He will (someday) bar companies from charging more for goods on the Canadian side of the border, but most companies have brought their prices into line to stay competitive, anyway.

As a snowbird, the cross border shopping prices that affect me are the so-called 'currency conversion' and other bank charges that can amount to a 6% increase on the ticket price whether I pay with a credit card or cash. This, combined with a 10% exchange rate and an ATM fee brings the total surcharge to about 20%.

All of these fall within Flaherty's jurisdiction, but all I got from him was his "serious concern." Yah, right!

And as for cell phone and internet rates. My Bell Canada internet bill mysterious went from $58 to $65 this month, even though I'm not home to use it. Oh, he will make sure the IT companies comply with the Wireless Code of Conduct (whatever that is) such as offering more contract clarity and reducing or eliminating some roaming and cancellation fees. 

That's all very nice, but if I am being gouged now, I'm still going to be gouged when Flaherty gets around to legislating all of this.

This is my response for now, but my final response will come at the polls in 2015.


No comments:

Post a Comment