Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Here' what the Wynne/Sousa budget did, or didn't do for me...



Ontario's newly elected Liberal government reintroduced their 2014-15 budget on Monday.

-- The deficit is expected to rise to $12.5 billion next year from $11.3 billion in 2013-14, before falling to $8.9 billion in 2015-16. The Liberals say they still plan to balance the books by 2017-18.

-- Revenues are down almost $1.2 billion from the budget projections for 2013-14 to an estimated $115.6 billion.

-- Program spending will grow next year by almost $3 billion.

-- Net debt ballooned to $269.2 billion for the year ending March 31 from $252.1 billion the previous year, leaving a debt-to-GDP ratio of 38.9 per cent, which is expected to grow to 40.3 per cent next year.

-- A new Ontario Retirement Pension Plan for people without a workplace pension will require contributions from employers and workers of 1.9 per cent of salary. Someone earning $70,000 a year would pay $1,263 into the pension plan and their employer would match that amount. The new plan would be introduced in 2017.

Here’s what the budget did for me:

-- $29 billion over 10 years for public transit, roads, bridges and infrastructure (in the GTA).
What it does for me: Another increase in my taxes for which I receive little or no benefit. I don’t go to the GTA—Haven’t for 20 years, so this is just another drain over and above child benefit subsidies (roughly $6B per annum), as well as subsides to the private sector corporations equaling $15B or more.

-- $11.4 billion over 10 years for hospital expansion and redevelopment projects.
What it means for me: Another increase in my taxes for which I receive little or no benefit. We have ‘Taj Mahal’ hospitals already. What we need is a self-sustaining health system that isn’t fraught with unreasonable wait times, and doesn’t tax seniors an average of $600 per year (Ontario Health Benefit Subsidy) to support it.

-- $11 billion over 10 years to repair, upgrade and build new elementary and high schools.
What it means to me: Another increase in my taxes for which I get little or no benefit.
Oh dear … Here we go again. More ‘Taj Mahal’ schools on top of the multiple billions we spend on an educational system. I wonder whether these will feature nurseries and daycare facilities to go along with 'Nobody's Perfect ' grants for underage parents?

-- $2.5 billion over 10 years for a new jobs fund which would give grants to corporations.
What it means to me: NOT ANOTHER GRANT TO CORPORATIONS!?! All levels of government in Canada now subsidize the private sector to the tune of $684 BILLION, annually. However, does anyone … Anyone know what we are receiving in return—i.e. cost/benefit analysis?

-- A 10-year, $2.5 billion Jobs Prosperity Fund of handouts and incentives for business to invest in Ontario.
What it means to me: Yet another handout for which there is no cost/benefit analysis available. Isn't it time we put some of the bean counters to work determining if these programs actually  work as planned?

-- $1 billion to help build a transportation route to the remote Ring of Fire mineral deposit in northern Ontario.
What it means to me: Another increase in my taxes for which I get little or no benefit. However, it at least recognizes that the province doesn't begin and end with the GTA—Regardless of whether Wynne’s voter base happens to be located there.

-- $810 million over three years for community supports for adults with developmental disabilities.
What it means to me: Another increase in my taxes. Remember, this is going to municipalities and other “communities,”  and not the developmentally disabled themselves. So how much of it will filter through is anyone's guess ... Trickle down theory? (See below.)

-- $294 million for a program that helps prevent homelessness.
What it means to me: Another increase in my taxes for which I get little or no benefit. How do you prevent homelessness other than building housing for them? Which is unreasonable, even by the Wynne/Sousa standard. So how much of this (unsupported) figure will go into administrative infrastructure? I don’t know … Do you? Does Wynne and Sousa?

-- $32 million to expand school breakfast and lunch programs.
What it means to me: Another increase in my taxes for which I get little or no benefit. It should be remember that this is on top of the $3 billion spent on student nutrition program in 2013-14. So where are the parents in all this? For a discussion on child benefits, see Tales from the Nanny Nation - Part II, "The Baby Industry".

-- Increasing social assistance rates by one per cent for people on disability supports and welfare.
What it means to me: Another increase in my taxes. I am disabled, but I am ineligible for any assistance programs out there. Moreover, Dalton McGuinty went one step further by taking seniors-specific benefits like physiotherapy off the OHIP list, as well as several seniors-specific drugs off the Ontario Drug Benefit Plan.

-- Replace the Northern Allowance for people on social assistance with a Remote Communities Allowance adding $50 a month for the first person and $25 a month for each additional family member.
What it means to me: Another increase in my taxes.

-- Hiking the provincial tax on aviation fuel by four cents a litre over four years.
What it means to me: Another expense. I fly to Florida twice a year, and so this is a Gerry-specif expense. I notice, as well, that Wynne and Sousa moved this up to September 1st, so that they were sure to catch me.

-- Increasing the tobacco tax from 12.35 cents a cigarette to 13.975 cents or $3.25 on a carton of 200, but the tax rate on cigars remains unchanged at 56.6 per cent.
What this means to me: No effect. I don’t smoke, and I can’t afford to drink in Ontario. But every mundane government has routinely taxed cigarettes and booze while patting itself on the back for being such an aggressive health advocate. 

So what about the smog-related illnesses that occur each year? Or is 2,000-some-odd deaths each year not compelling when it comes from a non-trendy source?

And if Sousa or Wynne, or Chiarelli, mentions Drive Clean Ontario as a solution, I will puke!

No comments:

Post a Comment