Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Thank you Dalton McGuinty. My "Seniors' Property Tax Reduction Grant" gave me a good laugh.


The other day I received my Seniors' Property Tax Grant, the program that Dalton "Father Goose" McGuinty touted as being such a benevolence for seniors. Of course he didn't mention that the very first thing he did when he took office was the rescind Ernie Eves' property tax exemption for seniors. McGuinty has a talent for forgetting things like that. Anyway, here's how my benevolent tax grant worked out on a property tax bill of $2,000:

Basic grant: $500.00
Less: Reduction for income: $477.00
Net grant: $23.00 
Okay. It's something, and I suppose I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but compare this to what the McGuinty government provides for a child.

  • A basic, no-questions-asked annual grant of $2,500 per child.
  • A per-month child benefit payment
  • Dental expenses
  • subsidized child care
  • etc., etc.
Oh, I guess I needn't mention he has two, school-age children of his own.

After much thought I've decided to donate my $23.00 to one of the opposition parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment