Saturday, December 29, 2012

Microsoft ... Microcrap





As a writer I spend at least eight hours per day on the computer, and a good portion of that is wasted on wrestling with MS Word. Annoyances like:
  • chasing the pointer as it jumps around the page;
  • deleting and retyping the misplaced copy that results;
  • undoing the blocking of copy that mysteriously appears on its own, and is then deleted with my next key stroke;
  • struggling to undo the alternate characters (the blue ones on the keypad) that arbitrarily appear.
Before I cancelled the automatic updates, Windows would suddenly reboot without warning (wiping out whatever I hadn't saved), and to add insult to injury it would then send a pop-up to say that, "Windows has just updated your computer." No kidding!

A while back I purchased an update from Word 2007 to 2010 ($160), thinking it had remedied the above-listed glitches, but to my utter chagrin it hadn't. Moreover, when I saved my unfinished manuscript to 2010 it deleted the spaces between words on over 200 pages - (130,000 words)!

So why don't I complain? Believe me I would if I could, but unless you are writing to tell Microcrap how good it is, there is no "contact us" feature anywhere on their website.

In short, Microcrap is the best advertisement for Macintosh there is, and I'm sold on switching with my next computer purchase.




No comments:

Post a Comment